There is a long, proud tradition of musical excellence at Willoughby Girls High School. Our nine extra-curricular ensembles represent over 150 students, creating great music thoughout the year and lasting friendships for years to come.
Every year we enjoy many great gigs, with performances at the Opera House, Town Hall, Sydney Conservatorium, The Concourse, Chatswood RSL, Willoughby Spring Festival and lots of other venues both at school and in the community.
Every second year there is a major school musical production, and every other year we plan an ensembles tour. Recent tours have included Hong Kong and California, as well as Regional NSW Tours to New England and the Central West.
There are plenty of musical opportunities at Willoughby Girls High School for all ages and all levels of experience, and parental involvement is always welcome. Please contact the Music Faculty if you would like further information.
Our three vocal ensembles are organised and conducted by the Music Teachers, with weekly rehearsals at lunchtimes. Our vocal ensembles are:
- Junior Vocal Ensemble (by audition) - Weekly lunchtime rehearsals all year, plus performance opportunities in and out of school
- Senior Vocal Ensemble (by audition) - Weekly lunchtime rehearsals all year, plus performance opportunities in and out of school
- Combined Choir - a massed choir of students from Years 7-10 who perform in the Arts Unit's "In Concert" Performance
Our six instrumental ensembles are organised by the P&C Music Committee and directed by experienced professional conductors, with weekly rehearsals before and after school. Our Instrumental Ensembles are:
- Year 7 & 8 Wind Ensemble - Thursday 7.15am rehearsals. Regular performances thoughout the year. Tours every two years.
- Senior Wind Ensemble - Friday 7.15am rehearsals. Regular performances thoughout the year. Tours every two years.
- Jazz Ensemble - Wednesday 7.30am rehearsals. Regular performances throughout the year.
- Percussion Ensemble - Friday 4.30pm rehearsals. For beginneres and players of other instruments (not just drummers)
- Chamber Ensemble (Strings) - Friday 7.30am rehearsals. Regular performances thoughout the year. Tours every two years.
- Accelerate Ensemble (Beginners) - Friday 3.30pm rehearsals. For beginners and players of other instuments.